Welcome back to the second part of our blog series, where we continue to unravel the wonders of Spain as an ultimate summer getaway. If you haven’t already, be sure to check out part 1, where we delved into the captivating allure of Spain’s mythical historic cities, magnificent beaches, exquisite cuisine, and vibrant nightlife. Now, let’s dive even deeper into our other 5 summer destinations in Spain, ensuring you don’t miss out on the best activities and attractions each location has to offer. Get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey through the sun-kissed landscapes of Spain.
1. Malaga, Costa Del Sol: Sun, Heritage, and Cuisine:
Malaga, located on the Costa Del Sol in Andalusia, is a popular summer destination in Spain. This beautiful city offers a diverse range of attractions, including sandy beaches, rich heritage sites, elegant harbors, and excellent restaurants. Whether you’re a food lover, a history enthusiast, or simply seeking a memorable holiday, Malaga has it all.
Best activities to do in Malaga:
- Culinary Delights: Indulge in the Mediterranean cuisine during culinary tours, exploring the city’s hidden culinary gems and diving into the taste secrets of Malaga.
- Artistic Journey: Visit the Museo Picasso Malaga to admire over 200 works by the famous artist, Pablo Picasso. Witness the evolution of his artistic journey up close.
- Arab-Andalusian Heritage: Immerse yourself in the rich history of Malaga by visiting the Alcazaba fortress, Castillo de Gibraltar, and exploring the charming old town.
2. Costa Dorada: The Golden Coast of Catalonia:
Located in Catalonia, the Costa Dorada, or “Gold Coast,” lives up to its name with miles of golden sandy beaches and azure Mediterranean waters. This region is home to charming towns, fishing villages, and a vibrant summer atmosphere. Whether you’re interested in history, beach activities, or exploring picturesque coastal towns, the Costa Dorada is the ideal place for a summer holiday in Spain.
Best activities to do on the Costa Dorada:
- Historic Exploration: Explore the city of Tarragona, the first Roman colony in Spain, with its ancient remains and museums that delight history enthusiasts.
- Beach Bliss: Enjoy the magnificent beaches of Salou, Sitges’ La Ribera, Cambrils, La Pineda, and Mont-Roig del Camp. Engage in water sports and evening entertainment.
- Coastal Cruise: Treat yourself to a dream cruise from Tarragona, admiring the stunning beaches and cliffs along one of Spain’s most beautiful coastlines.
3. San Sebastian, Basque Country: A City of Gastronomy and Beauty:
Immerse yourself in the intriguing region of the Basque Country with a visit to San Sebastian. Known for its picturesque bay, internationally renowned restaurants, and vibrant food culture, San Sebastian offers a unique holiday experience. Explore the charming old town’s cobbled streets, indulge in delicious Basque specialties, and discover the city’s rich history.
Best activities to do in San Sebastian:
- Monte Igueldo Excursion: Take a trip to Monte Igueldo, located west of the city, for a dazzling panorama of the coastline and surrounding mountains. Enjoy the funicular ride and embark on individual walks.
- Historical and Cultural Immersion: Visit historic sites and museums, including the Ayuntamiento de San Sebastian, Cathedral of Buen Pastor, and the Palacio Miramar or Museum of San Telmo, to learn about Basque history.
- Beach Bliss at La Concha: Bask in the beauty of San Sebastian’s flagship beaches, La Concha, and Playa de Ondarreta. Enjoy the sun, refreshing water of the Cantabrian Sea, and indulge in regional specialties along the promenade.
4. Costa Brava: A Unique Coastal Experience:
Venture to the Costa Brava, stretching along the northeast region of Catalonia, for a unique coastal experience. With its beautiful beaches and historic cities, this region offers a distinct charm different from the southern coasts of Spain. Escape the crowds and discover a hidden and authentic side of Spain on your next summer vacation.
Best activities to do on the Costa Brava:
- Historic Girona: Let yourself be charmed by the historic city of Girona. With its medieval districts, preserved Roman vestiges, and colorful houses along the Onyar river, it’s a must-visit destination.
- Salvador Dali Experience: Explore the art of Salvador Dali, a native of the region, at the Dali Theater Museum. Marvel at his intriguing works in this unique museum designed by the artist himself.
- Search for Your Private Beach: Embark on a road trip along the Costa Brava, uncovering hidden coves and secluded sandy beaches. Discover your own little beach paradise away from the crowds.
5. Galicia: A Celtic Journey:
Embark on a journey to Galicia, a region in the northwest of the Iberian Peninsula known for its distinct culture, Celtic heritage, and delicious seafood cuisine. Galicia offers spectacular natural landscapes, rivers, and eucalyptus forests waiting to be explored. For a unique experience, hike along the famous Camino de Santiago, one of the most renowned pilgrimage routes in the world.
Best activities to do in Galicia:
- Seafood Gastronomy: Indulge in the excellent local cuisine, particularly the mouthwatering seafood dishes. From small villages to big cities, every corner of Galicia offers a hearty meal.
- Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela: Visit the capital of Galicia, Santiago de Compostela, and immerse yourself in the unique atmosphere of the pilgrimage’s end. Attend the pilgrim mass at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela and witness the emotional ceremony.
- Explore the Cies Islands: Discover the Cies Islands, often referred to as “The Spanish Caribbean Islands.” Located off the coast of Vigo, these islands boast rich vegetation and turquoise waters, providing a Caribbean-like experience.
As we conclude this series, we hope that we have inspired you to explore the incredible summer destinations that Spain has to offer. From the vibrant streets of Barcelona to the golden sandy beaches of Costa Dorada, Spain provides a wealth of experiences for every type of traveler. Whether you seek historical landmarks, cultural immersion, natural beauty, or thrilling adventures, Spain promises to fulfill your desires. So, don’t wait any longer—start planning your ultimate summer getaway to this diverse and captivating country. Get ready to create cherished memories that will last a lifetime in the captivating landscapes of Spain.