Call us now: +34 934 17 46 77

Close this search box.

Call us now:
+34 934 17 46 77

Close this search box.

Spanish Study Visa

Study Visa

If you are enrolled in one of our on-campus programmes and are a citizen of a country outside the European Union and European Economic Area and Switzerland, you will need a Spanish study visa to study at ESEI. 

Applying for a Spanish study visa can be a long process depending on your country of residence, so make sure you start the process on time to secure your study visa before the start of your studies in Barcelona. 

Steps to Secure your Spanish Study Visa

After your enrolment at ESEI, you need to take the following steps to secure your long-term Spanish study visa for programmes that last longer than 6 months. 

Renewing your Spanish Student Residence Card

Your Spanish Student Residence Card is renewable every year for as long as you are a registered student at ESEI or in Spain. You will be required to start the process up to 60 days before the expiry of your previous residence card, or 90 days after its expiry. We always recommend that you start the process before your current student residence card expires.  


Post Study Visa Options

Once you have successfully completed your Bachelor and Master studies at ESEI, you can go on to apply for the following residence permits to remain in Spain if you meet the conditions for obtaining them. 

  • Work Permit allows you to legally work in Spain with a full time job contract. 
  • Residence permit for professional internships allows you to legally work in Spain with an internship contract after your studies at ESEI. 
  • Entrepreneurship Visa allows you to live and set up your company in Spain. 

Please note that our programmes do not give access to Job-Search Visas in Spain. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Answer all of your questions

ESEI’s admissions team will provide support with the visa application process whenever necessary, however, you will need to apply for your visa in person at the nearest Spanish consulate in your region.

ESEI collaborates with immigration lawyers to provide professional support at an additional cost. If you are interested in getting legal assistance with your visa and immigration procedures, you can contact Anastasia Kuzmina, [email protected], from Antonio Segura Abogados.

our study visa will be issued for the duration of your studies at ESEI, up to one year. If your programme at ESEI is longer than a year, your visa can be extended directly in Spain if you still meet the required conditions and can provide evidence that you have passed the relevant exams and meet the requirements to continue your studies. In this case, the process can be done 60 days before the expiry or 90 days after the expiry of the student card.

Your direct family (spouse, common-law partner, and children under 18s) can also apply for a visa to enter and stay in Spain for the same duration as your studies at ESEI. To apply for a family visa, you must show financial means to support your family and give strong evidence of your family ties. Family members are not allowed to work and cannot obtain a work permit in Spain.

If there were errors in your visa application that can be corrected, we advise that you present an appeal directly to the Spanish Consulate where your visa application was presented. An appeal can be presented up to a month after receiving the decision on your application. If you have missed the appeal deadline and/or start date of your course, we advise that you defer your studies to the next semester (without paying any additional fee) and resubmit your visa application. The result of your first application will not influence the outcome of your next visa application as long as you fully meet all the requirements for the study visa.

Refund requests may be presented only after the above steps have been taken to secure your study visa. We advise that you take a look at our refund policy for more information about how refund cases are handled at ESEI.

You are permitted to work during your period of student residence only if your work activities do not conflict with your studies. Moreover, the income you obtain must not represent a necessary resource for your maintenance or stay and the company hiring you must be registered in the Spanish social security system.

The health insurance companies recommended by ESEI, as well as our legal partners, are as follows:Altantida and Sanitas.

Please make sure that the insurance covers €100,000.00 in damages, repatriation, or any emergencies, and cannot have a waiting period of more than 6 months. Depending on the country in which you are applying for the insurance, there might be some additional requirements. Please contact our Admissions office for more details.

Financial evidence is proof you have enough money to pay for your studies and support yourself while studying in Spain. The requirement includes evidence you can pay for your full ESEI tuition fees, as well as your living expenses. Living expenses are at least €6,960.00 per year (€580.00 euros per month). Documents accepted as financial evidence are as follows: bank statements, salary receipts, period income, scholarship document certificate (exact amount in euros), or a letter from the parents or relatives covering financial resources (a notarized document that needs to be legalised).

In some cases, it is easier to obtain a tourist visa and directly convert your tourist visa to a study visa in Spain. You will need to start the conversion process within the first 50 days from your arrival to Spain. Required documents for the conversion generally include:

  • Passport
  • Official Spanish Study Visa application form
  • Health Insurance valid in Spain
  • Medical Certificate
  • Police Report or a Criminal Record from countries of residence over the past 5 years
  • Enrolment letter from the University/School
  • Financial evidence from a Spanish bank
    • Santander
    • N26
    • Deutsche bank
    • BBVA
  • Registration certificate (for fingerprints)

We recommend our students to seek help from Antonio Segura Abogados with the conversion process. Please contact our Admissions office for more details.

Request info