FAQ 2020-02-06T08:53:34+01:00
Does ESEI offer accommodation service? 2020-01-31T13:43:00+01:00

Esei works with different partners to provide our students the most appropriate housing solutions.

Please find more information about student accommodation in Barcelona here


What is “empadronamiento” and what do I need it for? How can I get it? 2015-02-13T06:53:04+01:00

Empadronamiento registers you as living in Barcelona. Upon completing the process, you will be given a letter confirming your empadronamiento status. This is necessary for a variety of administrative procedures. For example, you will need it if you want to apply for a local health card (el carné para la residencia sanitaria).

The papers you will need to present to the nearest police station in order to obtain the above mentioned letter of residence are:

  • Passport
  • Proof of residence (Household utility bill/ Rental contract)
What is “Seguridad Social”? What do I need it for? What do I need to do to obtain it? 2017-04-26T13:31:32+02:00

Seguridad social is a social security number. It entitles you to use public health care in Spain. To get the social security number, you need to visit the Administración de la Seguridad Social (address provided below) with the following documents:

An original and a copy of your official “Spanish Student Residence Card” (‘Tarjeta de autorización de estancia por estudios’).

The original and a copy of your passport or ID.

Address: Av. Gran Via Carles III 124 8034 Barcelona

What is a “NIE”? What do I need it for? What do I need to do to obtain it? 2015-02-13T06:52:01+01:00

A NIE is a Número de Identidad de Extranjeros which, translated, means “Identity Number for Foreigners”. This number appears on all documents issued in Spain.

An NIE number is needed to:

  • Open a bank account
  • Register with social services and arrange receipt of social security benefits
  • Be paid for employment
  • Pay taxes
  • Use short-term employment agencies
  • Apply for a business permit and start a business
  • Apply for a driver’s licence
  • Arrange credit terms or a mortgage
  • Buy, sell or insure property
  • Applications for an NIE can be done at a national Spanish police station (comisaría) that has a Foreigners’ Department (Oficina de Extranjeros)

The following documents are required:

  • An application form, the NIE para residentes en el extranjero (form EX14), filled out and signed
  • Receipt for payment of the fee, stamped by the bank
  • Identity card or original passport and photocopy
  • Two passport photographs
More information on: “Tarjeta de autorización de estancia por estudios” 2015-02-13T06:50:44+01:00

It is a Spanish Student Residence Card required for non-European students. If you are a non-European student, and your studies last for more than 180 days, you must contact the local authorities to acquire a student residence card (Tarjeta de autorización de estancia por estudios). It should be applied for within 30 days of arriving in the country. This “Spanish Student Residence Card” is valid for a year upon initial issue, and can be renewed annually for 5 years. The application should be submitted to the police station at C/ Balmes, 192 from Monday to Friday (9.00 – 14.00).

You must present the following documents:

  • The official application. You can pick it up at the office. Original and photocopy.
  • Passport valid for a minimum of 6 months. Original and photocopy.
  • A photocopy of the visa stamp in your passport received from border officials upon entering Spain.
  • Acceptance letter from ESEI that was presented to the Consulate General of Spain in your country of origin before entering Spain. Original and photocopy.
  • Original letter verifying (a) enrollment as a full-time student in ESEI, (b) the duration of the course, and (c) full payment of enrollment fee. Original and photocopy.
  • 3 recent pictures, passport size.
  • Letter of residence (empadronamiento) stating that you are registered as living in Barcelona.
Can I work with a student visa? 2019-07-11T09:20:16+02:00

Spanish student residence permit entitles you to work either part-time or in a temporary position.
You are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week while you are studying, as long as it doesn’t interfere with your studies.


Can you help me get a Spanish student visa or work visa? 2015-02-13T06:49:24+01:00

ESEI does not assist with any credentialing necessary to obtain visas for foreigners. In the case of non-European students, we only issue the official enrollment letter necessary for visa purposes. Following Spanish Embassy requirements, for visa purposes ESEI issues an official enrollment letter indicating:

  • the student’s name, address, phones, and e-mail
  • full payment of tuition
  • duration of the program (start and finish dates)
  • subjects of study
  • hours of study per week (20 at least).
Do I need a visa? 2015-02-13T06:48:46+01:00

All students who are not citizens of a European Union member state, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland must obtain a long stay visa if they wish to stay in Spain for a period of over 90 days per semester. The student visa allows the holder to remain in Spain in order to pursue studies, research, or training programmes. Within a month of arrival in Spain, you must also request a pertinent Student ID Card from the Spanish Police (Policía Nacional).

What insurance do I need while studying in Barcelona? 2018-03-08T17:53:34+01:00

Students coming from European Union member states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland are advised to obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card entitles the holder to the same access to public sector health care (e.g. doctors, chemists, hospitals) as Spanish citizens. The EHIC does not cover you for private sector health care providers. The card can be obtained in your country, usually free of charge. Once you get to Spain it is recommendable to also support your EHIC card with the Spanish public health care (Seguridad Social).

As proof of travel/health/accident insurance and also in order to get a student visa, non-Europeans must present a letter from their insurance company stating that they will cover 100% (no deductibles) of any medical expenses incurred. The student’s insurance should also have a minimum  coverage of 30,000€ (or its equivalent in the country’s currency). While living in Barcelona you should apply for Seguridad Social – a social security number which entitles you to use Spanish public health care. You may, however, use private insurance if you have it. For Spanish public health care you will also need to apply for empadronamiento – a letter of residence stating that you are registered as living in Barcelona.

Do students have any discounts? How can they be obtained? 2016-10-24T17:01:11+02:00

Students can enjoy discounts in many places around Spain and Barcelona including cinemas, theaters, museums, tours, etc. Bus and subway tickets can not be discounted, but there are price reductions for inter-city trains. The most widely accepted document is the EURO 26 student card, but in many situations your ESEI/STUDENT NETWORK ID card will be enough.

How much money does the typical student need per month to live in BCN? 2015-02-13T06:47:01+01:00

The budget for life depends on the necessities and capacities of individual students. Excluding accommodation, students need a minimum of 250€ a month for living in Barcelona, although a typical international student spends around 400€ a month for food, travel and other expenses.

For more specific price descriptions please visit our section about the city of Barcelona.

What language do people speak? 2017-04-26T13:31:32+02:00

Barcelona, like all of Catalonia, has two official languages – Spanish (Castellano) and Catalan. You will find most people speaking Catalan on a daily basis, however Castellano is also spoken regularly, and it is perfectly acceptable to use it.

What is the weather like in Barcelona? 2015-02-13T06:46:04+01:00

The weather in Barcelona is pleasant most of the year. However, you’ll experience the best weather from mid April to the end of July. Summer in Barcelona is typically hot and sunny with temperatures of 30ºC-40ºC in June-August. September is also a good month. You won’t find sunshine every day though, so be prepared for days when it could be overcast with a little rain. The weather in October and November is still pleasant but starts to get cooler. The lowest temperatures hover around 5ºC and occur mainly during December-January.

What’s the best way to move around the city? 2016-10-24T17:04:37+02:00

Barcelona has a very well organized and effective transportation system including the subway, underground and above-ground trains, and day and night buses. A single-trip ticket costs 2,15€ and is valid for all the means of transport mentioned. Barcelona has also a system of bicycle stations called Bicing which lets you rent a bike for 49,16€ per year. Students can also buy or rent a scooter.

Does ESEI offer accommodation service? 2017-04-26T13:31:32+02:00

a. How much should I be prepared to pay for the room or apartment?

The prices for the room in a shared apartment are from 300€ to 500€ depending on the type of room (size, views, etc). You can also share a room with another student at an average of 250€ per person, or you can rent your own apartment starting from 600€. The bills are usually not included in the price, so you should be prepared to pay 50-70€ extra per month on gas, water, internet, etc.

b. Do I need a bank account in order to rent a flat?

Agencies usually require a Spanish bank account.

c. What else might I be asked for?

If you rent an apartment independently, you may also be asked for aval bancario, which is a type of a bank deposit or payment done two or three months in advance. You will also always be asked for a security deposit. Agencies will also charge you an agency fee.

d. What is a security deposit?

A security deposit is a payment, usually equal to one or two months of rent, that is made to the owner/agency in order to cover any possible damages to the apartment or to secure rent payments. If the apartment is in good condition when you leave it, the security deposit will be returned to you up to one month after the end of the contract. The security deposit cannot be used as a payment for the last month of rent.

e. Is it possible to rent accommodation for less than 12 months?

Yes, the rental periods are 3, 6, 10 and 12 months.

f. What happens if I want to leave the apartment before the end of the contract?

This would be a breach of contract and would result in the loss of your security deposit. If you provided a bank account, you may also still be charged monthly rent until the end of the contract. The best would be to ask in advance and before signing the contract.

g. Are the rooms offered by ESEI close to the university?

Yes, they tend to be within walking distance of the university.

h. What should I bring with me?

A standard apartment rented by StudentsFlats has 3-4 rooms, one bathroom, and is furnished and equipped with all the items needed for a comfortable and non-problematic stay. You will typically find a closet, bed, and some shelves in your room, and a sofa, dining table, and TV in the living room. Kitchens are equipped with a microwave, stove and oven, fridge with a freezer, dishes, and cutlery. The apartments usually do not have bed sheets, bed linens, curtains, towels, or bathroom mats. In most of the flats/rooms you will be provided with a quilt and a pillow, however they are not guaranteed. You can bring the things mentioned with you or buy them in Barcelona. The quilt, pillow, bed linens, and towels will all cost approximately 60€.

What accreditation does ESEI have? 2018-11-29T11:08:52+01:00

For the ​bachelors in Business Administration, ESEI  is fully accredited. The degree is officially recognised under the local governmental educational authority with authorization code 08075402 and also independently accredited by NCC education (UK) under a direct entry pathway to the University of Worcester for the final year. You can be assured that with this double recognition of our degree, your BA (hons) qualification will be recognised across the world.


For the masters programmes, ESEI operates within the private educational sector. A fully licensed and approved Business School with stringent quality standards and 26 years of history, our masters degrees are designed for students who wish to go into the professional world, rather than continue in the academic environment. If your objective is to study a PhD in a public institution after your ESEI masters, then this is not the right programme for you. Our focus is on practical education for the world of work, as opposed to the world of research, and employers value and accept our masters qualifications.

From October 2018, UCAM accredit 4 of the Masters programmes offered at ESEI:
– Master in Marketing and Communication
– Master in Business Management
– Master in International Relations and International Business
– Master in Tourism and Hospitality Management

Will I be obtaining an official diploma? What will my degree be? 2018-11-29T11:10:19+01:00

For the ​bachelors in Business Studies, ​you will receive your final certificate from The University of Worcester, as a Bachelor (hons) in Business Studies. This means you receive a highly respected UK degree while studying in Barcelona in only three years.

The Masters degree is a 60 ECTS qualification at level 7 on the European Framework. Your final certificate will be awarded by ESEI International Business School, detailing the masters programme, the credit total and the final class awarded (pass/merit/distinction).

From October 2018, UCAM accredit 4 of the Masters programmes offered at ESEI:
– Master in Marketing and Communication
– Master in Business Management
– Master in International Relations and International Business
– Master in Tourism and Hospitality Management

What options do students have for continuing their studies when they leave ESEI? 2015-02-13T06:42:32+01:00

Having completed the BSc (Hons) in Business Administration at ESEI, you can access to any Masters programmes worldwide or move into the professional world.

Does ESEI offer a student loan or financial aid programme? 2015-02-13T06:42:04+01:00

No. Payment of all tuition fees is entirely the responsibility of the student. However, Spanish banks offer a wide variety of student loan options for the purpose of financing university studies and all related expenses.

Is it possible to work while studying at ESEI? 2016-10-24T17:09:21+02:00

Students are allowed to work while studying at ESEI, however we advise our students not to during the first year of study. The class schedules are also set in a way that allow you to work morning or afternoon shifts. Students can choose to do an internship or find other part-time work on their own. Non–European students holding a student visa can only apply for an internship.

Do tuition fees cover book expenses? 2015-02-13T06:41:07+01:00

No, the tuition fee only covers tuition. You will need approximately 150€ for book expenses

Is it possible to pay the fees with a credit card? 2016-10-24T17:10:11+02:00

No. All fee payment must be paid by bank transfer or cash.

Is the application fee refundable in case my visa application is denied? 2015-02-13T06:40:14+01:00

The application fee is non-refundable and covers administrative expenses.

What is the system for credit transfers? 2015-02-13T06:39:43+01:00

Transferability of courses taken and credits accumulated at other educational institutions will be subject to the following considerations:

a) Profile of the institution from which credits would be transferred

b) Comparability of the course work with that of ESEI

c) Appropriateness of the coursework for the student’s degree programme at ESEI. When all the above mentioned factors have been examined, credit equivalencies will then be evaluated and credits awarded.

Transferral of studies undertaken at ESEI to your home university:

Only the home university can decide whether or not a course at ESEI can form part of your degree. To be certain that your university will accept the course or programme you would like to study, you must contact the university where you are currently studying before applying to ESEI.

Does ESEI accept transfer students? Am I eligible to transfer to ESEI? 2016-10-24T17:12:09+02:00

ESEI does accept transfer students. This possibility is available to students who have already done at least one year of studies at a university of a similar profile and who now wish to continue at ESEI. In this case ESEI will consider accepting transfer credits as part of the degree.

Can I study as an exchange student at ESEI for more than one semester? 2015-02-13T06:38:42+01:00

Our exchange programme entails studying at ESEI for one semester or one academic year and then returning to the university of origin.

When are interviews held and what can I expect? 2015-02-13T06:38:16+01:00

Provided that all documentation is in order, you can expect us to contact you within a week of applying in order to schedule your interview. For international students who are not currently in Spain, a telephone interview is arranged. You will be asked questions such as why you want to study at ESEI, why you want to study business, what you know about the degree, and what recent business issues you have read about. No offers are made without an interview.

Is there a minimum age for acceptance? 2015-02-13T06:37:38+01:00

There is no minimum age for acceptance. However, if you are under 18 years old a parent or guardian will need to sign a consent form for you to study abroad.

What happens if I do not achieve the necessary IELTS/ TOEFL score? 2017-04-26T13:31:32+02:00

If there is sufficient time, we can offer you an English Language foundation course during the summer prior to your main study programme. If you successfully complete this programme, you can then progress onto your degree course.

Does ESEI accept exchange students? 2015-02-13T06:36:31+01:00

ESEI does accept exchange students. Normally, the exchange takes place with ESEI’s affiliated universities. However, this is not always the case and students should ensure that the exchange university accepts transfer credits obtained at ESEI.

What IELTS/ TOEFL score do I need? 2015-02-13T06:36:00+01:00

Our minimum entry requirements for the tests are: TOEFL 550 or IELTS 6.0

Are copies of the academic transcripts and other certificates also accepted? 2015-02-13T06:35:27+01:00

We accept certified copies of official documents, but originals will be required at enrollment. Official records are defined as original documents issued by the institution — not photocopies — which bear the actual signature of the registrar and the seal of the issuing institution. If a document cannot be replaced, however, be sure to obtain a properly certified copy; keep the original for yourself. Never send a document that cannot be replaced. If the original document is not issued in English, enclose an official copy of all educational documents in the original language and a certified copy translated into English.

An official English language translation should:

-bear the ink stamp and signature of a translating company official or an authorized university official.

-have the stamp and signature on each page.

-include a statement of authenticity on the last page.

Do I have to do any special courses before applying to your school? 2015-02-13T06:34:53+01:00

No. There are no prerequisite subjects.

Do you have an entrance exam? 2015-02-13T06:34:22+01:00

No, we do not. However, if you can prove that you have significant qualifications, education, and skills, you will be seriously considered for admission. We select applicants on the basis of the application and the interview.

Is there an application fee? 2015-02-13T06:33:54+01:00

Only non-European students are required to pay an application Fee of 150 euros in order to start the application process. The fee is non-refundable and covers the administration expenses. The application process will start once the payment has been made. It is only when the student obtains a student visa that he/she is required to pay the enrollment fee.

What other social or cultural extra curricular activities are available at ESEI? 2016-10-24T17:18:56+02:00

Apart from sports activities, ESEI arranges with his Partner The Student Network and the Student Council many social and cultural events throughout your study period. You will have the chance to spend time with your classmates and get to know the culture of Barcelona and Spain during activities like city tours, industrial visits, sport tournaments, trekking and cycling tours.

Do I need to have some Spanish language skills in order to participate in a programme? 2016-10-24T17:20:15+02:00

No. All of our classes are taught in English. However, if you don’t speak the language, ESEI provides a free 20 hours course per semester for the students.

What sports can be played in Barcelona? 2016-10-24T17:21:20+02:00

Most ESEI students play football, basketball or volleyball. The university helps students with organising other sports activities and with obtaining discounts in sports centers. The average monthly cost for a membership is 40-90€, and it typically includes access to facilities as the gym, swimming pool, climbing walls, squash courts, etc. There are also many sports that can be done with no or minimum cost like cycling, rollerblading, hiking, surfing, etc.

Does ESEI offer preparatory or additional courses for the students? 2017-01-27T12:52:50+01:00

Yes, if you are concerned about your abilities in the areas of finance, mathematics, academic English etc., ESEI can arrange a teacher for you and provide classroom space to study preparatory classes before commencing your studies. Such courses are at the the student´s own cost (by paying directly to the teacher), though ESEI does not charge for the service nor the room.

Similarly, if a group of students wish to study something outwith their curriculum during the academic year, from photoshop design to German language, ESEI can help to arrange the classes, and find an excellent teacher. Again, these courses are at the student´s own cost, and any additional materials such as software, hardware, books or stationery are the students´ responsibility

What are the facilities like at ESEI? 2016-10-24T17:23:03+02:00

The facilities include:

A student lounge, study rooms, and a patio garden.

ESEI also provides Wi-Fi throughout the school premises.

Where do your students come from? How many different nationalities are at ESEI? 2016-10-24T17:23:56+02:00

ESEI has a diverse international student body; over 40 different nationalities are represented at the school. The fact that more than 90% of our students come from outside Spain has greatly benefited the multicultural environment within ESEI.

We also receive study abroad students and exchange students from several countries each semester.

How many students are accepted each year? 2015-02-13T06:29:13+01:00

Enrollment is finalized upon receipt of payment, and a maximum of 35 slots per level are filled chronologically with respect to the order of payment.

Is it possible to connect with other ESEI students from my home country? 2015-02-13T06:28:45+01:00

We recognise and understand the cultural changes you may experience while studying here in Spain. We are available to give help and advice on any issues you wish to discuss. We can also give you the contact details of ESEI students from your country.

What is the average class size? 2016-10-24T17:24:29+02:00

Our average class size is around 15 to 25 students

What language are the classes taught in? 2015-02-13T06:27:41+01:00

All classes are taught in English.

When was ESEI founded? 2017-04-26T13:31:32+02:00

ESEI was founded in 1989, and for more than 20 years, it has been following the path of the world’s top business schools. Established by Mr. Jorge Estera-Sanza, an experienced manager and business leader, ESEI has been providing international students with the highest quality of education, shaping its business programme in a way that creates in-depth knowledge and skills vital for succeeding in the global, multicultural world of business.

Revolution Slider Error: Slider with alias not found.
Maybe you mean: 'Avada_Full_Width' or 'home-spanish' or 'test-template' or 'master-in-buisness-management' or 'Master-in-Digital-Entrepreneurship' or 'Master-Digital-Marketing'
Need Help? Chat with us